Bonus Materials Details
- EcoCabins: 'a free code to download chapters 1 - 5 of 'Turning Tiny: The Small Living Paradigm that's Reshaping the Way we Think, Live and Dream'' (Code)
DESCRIPTION: Chapters by over 60 tiny house movement luminaries. This compilation book came about because of the amazing stories I have been following on social media for the past few years.
- Felice Cohen: '10 Tips to Get You Motivated to Downsize Your Stuff' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: These 10 tips are designed to help you get motivated through baby steps, removing the burden of thinking the downsizing process has to happen all at once. This way you can see immediate progress towards your goals.
- Abundaculture: 'Installing a Small, 12 Volt, Off-Grid Solar System' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Information for a safe solar system is presented here. Do not substitute materials. This installation will not meet national electric code standards."
- Abundaculture: 'A Water Catchment System' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Unless you have a good spring or year-round creek flowing across your property, catching rainwater is often the simplest and least expensive way to secure the water that you need.
- Abundaculture: 'How to Keep Batteries Alive for Years and Years' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Battery failures are rarely the fault of the batteries themselves! Follow these guidelines to avoid the vast majority of all battery problems.
- Abundaculture: 'Typical Wattage Requirements for Common Appliances' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Use the manufacturer's specs if possible, but be careful of nameplate ratings that are the highest possible electrical draw for that appliance. Beware of appliances that have a "standby" mode and are really "on" 24 hours a day.
- Abundaculture: 'Building a Composting Enclosure' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Included are several types of yard waste composters in which end-product from composting toilet systems can be further composted.
- Abundaculture: 'A Gray Water System' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Guidelines for an Effective Gray Water System
- Abundaculture: 'Building a Sawdust Toilet' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Your situation will dictate how you design your sawdust toilet. Listen within are ideas to consider.
- Abundaculture: 'Parts of a Simple Solar Electric System' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Though most consider lead-acid batteries the weak link in renewable energy systems, today's renewable energy batteries are better than ever, and so are the devices that regulate and protect them.
- Abundaculture: 'Sub-Irrigated Planters' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: How to Build an SIP.
- Abundaculture: 'Abundaculture Manual' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: *Disclaimer - This material is religious in nature.... AbundacultureTM is an amalgamation of ideas collected over four decades. Using appropriate technology, defined as "A science or technology considered reasonable and suitable for a particular purpose, that conforms to existing cultural, economic, environmental, and social conditions", is a way to solve problems on the mission field using methods and materials that are: Available, Affordable, Acceptable.
- Abundaculture: 'Purifying Your Water' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: If you use a catchment system and maintain it properly, your water should be clean enough for bathing, cooking, cleaning, and watering plants.
- Abundaculture: 'Water System Diagram' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: A diagram explaining the location of parts needed for a water system.
- Eco Cabins: 'EcoCabins: Factory-Built Dwellings Made Simple' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: This EcoCabins graph covers federal building code standards.
- Eco Cabins: 'Tiny Living Encompasses' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: 1-page Graph.
- Eco Cabins: 'Determining Legal Housing Placement' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: This visual graph covers Zoning and Coding.
- JamaicaCottageShop.com: '8x10 Vermonter – Introduction' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Jamaica Cottage Shop has designed a building to compete with the pre-fabricated tinker toy sheds found at franchise home supply super stores. We are pleased to offer this popular post and beam design. The one rule of thumb we have here is that every building we turn out is unique – in some ways reflecting the personalities of the craftsmen who build them.
- Live a F.A.S.T. Life: 'Tiny Abundance: My Journey to a Simple Yet Fabulously Abundant Life in 160 Square Feet' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: I didn’t think about building a tiny house. Or dream about building a tiny house. Or talk about how great it’d be to be mortgage free and then go put a down payment on a townhouse that I’d be paying on until I was in my 60’s. I actually did it.
- Macy Miller: '101 Things I Learned Building My Tiny House PLUS 101 Things I Learned Living in My Tiny House' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Along the construction and after completion of my tiny home I have been asked some interesting questions, some that I had prior to walking the path but many have been complete surprises! This is a collection of some of the tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way.
- Natural Building Blog: 'The Best of the Natural Building Blog' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: This free ebook covers the best, most popular articles from the Natural Building Blog. The content in this PDF has been organized by the following categories: Introduction, Earthbag Building, Strawbale Building, Other Building Methods, Miscellaneous, House Plans, and Reference.
- Pin Up Houses: 'How to Build a Tiny House: Step by Step DIY Small House Construction Guide' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: I have been inspired to write the book “Building a Tiny House” primarily by my experience with designing and building many minimal houses, as well as the finding that there is no good quality book available on the topic. To manifest the simplicity and functionality of the houses I design, I decided to build one of them myself.
- Tiny House Advisor: 'Tiny Experiences' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: In my book, The Tiny Experience, I tell you my story, share the why and how and give you unique and useful tips so you can either downsize your current lifestyle or downsize and move into your own tiny space.
- Tiny r(E)volution: 'Built-In Roll Out Bed: A Simple Way to Use Plywood and Piano Hinges to Turn any Small Space Space Into a Bedroom' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Like any family we enjoy having house guests and visits from friends and family. But with just 240 square feet it is sometimes quite difficult. That is why when we realized our “tiny office” had the potential to be so much more. Imagine turning your home office or detached studio into a beautiful and cozy guest bedroom in less then 3 minutes? That is what our Built In Roll Out Bed allows you to do.
- Tiny Real Estate: 'Tiny Houses: Getting Started Guide' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Learn the 6 key steps before buying or building yout tiny house and save yourself time, money, & frustration!
- Jenn Baxter & Angela Alcorn: 'Choosing a Tiny Home Builder' (PDF / Ebook)
DESCRIPTION: Guidelines to review when selecting a builder for your tiny home.
- Tiny Nest Project: 'Tiny Nest Project Iron Eagle Trailer Sketchup' (Sketchup File)
DESCRIPTION: We’ve worked directly with Iron Eagle to produce highly accurate models of their tiny house trailers. Now, those who wish to follow the same path that we did, can skip this important first step and get straight to designing the house!
- Tiny Nest Project: 'Tiny Nest Project 3D Tiny House Sketchup' (Sketchup File)
DESCRIPTION: We designed every inch of this 3D model from scratch and used it as our building plans. It’s not certified or engineered in any way, but we hope you find it helpful, and we appreciate any monetary support you can give us!
- Tiny Nest Project: 'TinyPad Sketchup Model by Chris Cook' (Sketchup File). One of our early followers (Chris Cook from Media, PA) has made his very own detailed tiny house model by starting with the Tiny Nest design and modifying it.